This was one of the most successful bus chassis from 1929 to 1969 when it was bought by operators large and small the length and breadth of Britain. It also sold well in overseas markets including Iran. It was a reliable bus and had a loyal following. This describes its history and development and is profusely illustrates with photographs of the Regent V in various liverie.
The AEC Regent V was a front-engined double-deck bus manufactured by the Associated Equipment Company between 1954 and 1969, when, as a result of the introduction of the Bus Grant in 1968 (designed to encourage the purchase of rear-engined buses in order to foster one-man operation), production of front-engined buses ceased. The Regent V was the successor to the Regent III and was fitted with AEC's own design of concealed radiator and was supplied generally with either an AEC or Gardner engine. Produced contemporaneously with the Routemaster, the AEC Regent V found a ready market amongst British municipal operators, with examples seeing service in fleets nationwide, and with BET-group companies. Apart from the domestic market, the chassis was also widely exported; 210, for example, being sold to Kowloon Motor Bus in Hong Kong. Examples of the Regent V survived in service until the 1980s and a significant number survive in preservation.Transport expert Stewart J Brown presents the latest title in his string of successful volumes. The book includes descriptive text alongside hundreds of evocative colour illustrations